The Palmetto Bank takes the obligation of protecting the security and privacy of our clients very seriously. We have received reports of clients and non-clients receiving automated calls alerting them to a debit card security issue. These calls are not associated with The Palmetto Bank and no accounts with the Bank have been compromised. These calls requires additional action from the recipients to press a number and enter their private account information. Never provide your debit card number or any other private information in response to an unsolicited phone call or email. Anyone receiving such a call should not respond. However if you did respond and provided a card number you should report the card stolen by calling 1.800.554.8969.
It is important for all clients to know that:
- The Palmetto Bank is safe and has not been compromised.
- Client information with The Palmetto Bank is safe and secure.
- You are being targeted by a robo-dialing or phishing scam.
- The Palmetto Bank would never ask or solicit account information in this manner.
- In the event of fraudulent activity, The Palmetto Bank will contact clients with a live person not an automated call.
- As a Palmetto Bank consumer client, you will not be held liable for any unauthorized charges reported in a timely manner.1
Below are answers to other questions you may have about protecting your financial information.
Q: What should I do if I notice suspicious activity on my account?
A: Contact us immediately by calling 1.800.PAL.BANK (1.800.725.2265). You can also visit your local branch to initiate the dispute process. We are here to help you should the need arise.
Q: How can I protect my account?
A: Learn more about Debit Card Protection. Also, please consider taking these steps to protect your account:
- Monitor transaction activity using Online Banking and Mobile Banking.
- Check monthly statements to ensure the transaction history matches your records. If you see any discrepancies, please call 1-800-725-2265 or visit your local branch immediately.
- Remember, all MyPalmetto Checking accounts receive additional account protection features. Benefits include Card PatrolSM, Payment Card Protection, Identity Theft Insurance, and Identity Fraud Support Service. If your current account is not a MyPalmetto Checking product, you may consider switching. Read about MyPalmetto Checking protection features or call us at 1-800-725-2265 to learn more.
- You also have the ability to change the PIN number to your debit card at any Palmetto Bank ATM.
- Review your credit reports for accuracy. The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires each of the nationwide credit reporting companies — Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion — to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months. To order, visit annualcreditreport.com or call 1-877-322-8228.
Q: Does The Palmetto Bank offer services to help me protect my account?
A: The Palmetto Bank actively monitors account activity to help protect our clients from fraud. But we also offer great options, including Online Banking and Mobile Banking that allow you to monitor account activity. Enroll today.
Additionally, MyPalmetto Checking account offers great account protection features. Benefits include Card PatrolSM, Payment Card Protection, Identity Theft Insurance, and Identity Fraud Support Service. Read about MyPalmetto Checking protection features or call us at 1-800-725-2265 to learn more.
Q: What are the chances that I will become a victim of identity theft as a result of this incident?
A: No bank information was compromised, so unless you provided your card information over the phone as a result of this phishing effort, the likelihood is low. However, it’s always a good idea to check your credit report regularly for incorrect information. The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires each of the nationwide credit reporting companies — Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion — to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months. To order, visit annualcreditreport.com or call 1-877-322-8228.
1Some restrictions apply. Terms, Conditions, Agreements, and Disclosures for Electronic Funds Transfer Services.